Cauldron Wood Fired Jianshui Purple Clay Teapot (85-90ml)
- Recommended Care
- Additional information
These teapots are completely unglazed, with their patterns and colour variations being the result of being wood fired for 3 days straight. Each of these teapots has a completely distinct finish and is paired with a free matching wood fired teacup.
The results of wood firing teaware is dependent on many factors, including clay composition, firing duration, location and placement in the kiln, shape of the kiln, type/composition of wood being burned, and much more. These teapots are primarily made from Jianshui zitao purple clay, with a small amount (<10%) of kaolin clay (高岭土) mixed in. This addition greatly improves stability during such an extended firing process and decreases breakage compared to pieces made from 100% zitao.
Many studios in Jianshui are still struggling to develop their wood firing process, which is a costly endeavour that involves many broken pieces. These teapots are the survivors from a custom batch we requested from one of the first studios in Jianshui to develop wood fired teaware. They’ve been at it for 5+ years, having brought in experts from Jingdezhen to learn from and assist in developing new techniques.
These teapots all have 7 hole filters and range in capacity from approximately 85-90ml, making them perfect for solo brewing. They feature an extra wide lid, allowing for easy entry of even the most stubborn teas.
As these teapots are made of unglazed, porous clay, we recommend designating them for one type of tea. Please see the “recommended care” tab.
- Check for clay deposits and scrape gently with a wooden or bamboo stick.
- Place the pot in boiled water and allow to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the pot and allow it to dry
- Using new water, add some new or used tea leaves of the type that you plan to use this pot for, boil, add the teapot and allow it to sit for another 30-60 mins.
- Rinse with regular water and allow to dry
- Repeat as desired
- Your teapot is ready to be used!
|Dimensions||11 × 7 × 7 cm|