Silver Lining Jianshui Zitao Purple Clay Gaiwan
- Recommended Care
- Additional information
These gaiwans are made from 100% Zitao Purple Clay from Jianshui and feature a light coloured swirl mixed into the clay.
Each gaiwans holds approximately 145ml (+/- 5ml) of liquid, with the exception of #3, which holds ~165ml. As this is made from unglazed clay, we recommend treating this similar to an unglazed teapot and designating it for a specific type of tea.
As with any new purple clay teaware, it’s recommended to first “season” it with the type of tea you plan to use it for. For this gaiwan our basic recommendation is:
- Check for clay deposits and scrape gently with a wooden or bamboo stick.
- Place the pot in boiled water and allow to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the gaiwan and allow it to dry
- Using your previously boiled water, add some new or used tea leaves that you plan to use this gaiwan for, boil, add the gaiwan, then allow it to sit for another 30-60 mins.
- Rinse with regular water and allow to dry
- Your gaiwan is ready to be used!
After seasoning your gaiwan, it’s advised to designate the gaiwan for one type of tea (raw puer, ripe puer, oolong, black tea, etc) as the gaiwan will slowly absorb the flavour and characteristics of the tea you use it for. If for some reason you use it with another type of tea, don’t worry. Your gaiwan is not ruined or tainted. The process of raising it is cumulative and happens over a long period of time – one simple session of brewing tea won’t make a noticeable difference.
However, one thing you should definitely not do is use soap or anything other than water to wash or rinse your gaiwan. If it absorbs the properties of tea over time, it will also absorb anything else you put in it, especially anything perfumed or scented.
|Dimensions||8 × 8 × 9.5 cm|