National Treasure Jianshui Zitao Purple Clay Teapots
- Recommended Care
- Additional information
Our “National Treasure” Jianshui zitao teapots are a fusion of 2 things that are quintessentially Chinese – tea and pandas. Having noticed a serious lack of pandas on teapots in the teaware scene, we designed these and had them custom made exclusively for Bitterleaf.
These white zitao clay teapots are available in 2 shapes/sizes: 105-115ml bian xishi (12 second pour) and 130-140ml bell (10 second pour).
These teapots are entirely handmade from 100% Zitao Purple Clay from Jianshui.
As these are made from unglazed, porous clay, we recommend designating your teapot for a specific type of tea.
As with any new purple clay teaware, it’s recommended to first season it with the type of tea you plan to use it for. For this pot our basic recommendation is:
- Check for clay deposits and scrape gently with a wooden or bamboo stick.
- Place the pot in boiled water and allow to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the pot and allow it to dry
- Using new water, add some new or used tea leaves of the type that you plan to use this pot for, boil, add the teapot and allow it to sit for another 30-60 mins.
- Rinse with regular water and allow to dry
- Repeat as desired
- Your teapot is ready to be used!
After seasoning your pot, it’s advised to designate the pot for one type of tea (raw puer, ripe puer, oolong, black tea, etc) as the pot will slowly absorb the flavour and characteristics of the tea you use it for.
If for some reason you use it with another type of tea, don’t worry. Your pot is not ruined or tainted. The process of raising it is cumulative and happens over a long period of time – one simple session of brewing with another type of tea won’t make a noticeable difference. However, one thing you should definitely not do is use soap or anything other than water to wash or rinse your pot. If it absorbs the properties of tea over time, it will also absorb anything else you put in it, especially anything perfumed or scented.
|Dimensions||12.5 × 7.5 × 7.5 cm|