Ruding Zhuni Yixing Zisha Clay Teapot
- Seasoning & Care
- Additional information
This elegant little Ruding shaped teapot is fully handmade using zhuni clay.
This teapot holds approximately 135ml (+/- 5ml), making it very suitable for solo sessions or up to 2-3 people. Pour speed is approximately 11 seconds.
Each teapot includes a certificate from the artist indicating the artist’s name, shape and clay composition. Please see our blog post for more information on Yixing clay and pots.
Zisha (紫砂, lit. “purple sand”) clay from Yixing is valued largely due to the porous nature of the clay. As you use it, oils from your tea enter the pot, which can in turn season it and enhance the flavour of the tea you use it with over time. For this reason, we recommend dedicating your new Yixing teapot to one type of tea only (raw puer, shou puer, aged puer, black, dancong, yancha, etc) and never washing it with soap or anything else besides water. Please see the care instructions tab above for more details on seasoning and maintaining your teapot.
Additionally, a patina or surface shine will develop on the outside of the teapot due to its interaction with the tea, providing an aesthetic enhancement. Functionally, zisha teapots also have very good heat retention qualities.
- Check for clay deposits and scrape gently with a wooden or bamboo stick if necessary.
- Place the pot in boiled water and allow to sit for 30-60 minutes. Some may advise letting your teapot simmer in the pot during this time. This is perfectly acceptable, try to avoid letting the teapot is rattle on the side of the boiling pot too much. If you notice this, reduce the heat to a less vigorous boil and always use a cloth or towel to pad the sides.
- Remove the pot and allow it to dry
- Using new water, add some new or used tea leaves of the type that you plan to use this pot for, boil, add the teapot and allow it to sit for another 30-60 mins. Again, you can boil the pot with the tea for this duration if you wish, just me careful.
- Rinse with regular water and allow to dry. Try not to use excessively cold water for this step in order to avoid shocking the pot and causing a potential crack.
- Repeat as desired
- Your teapot is ready to be used!
|Dimensions||10 × 7.5 × 7.5 cm|